The Cancer Registry reports on patients who were newly diagnosed and/or received first course or subsequent treatment for a cancer diagnosis, recurrent/progressive disease or benign brain neoplasm at University of Chicago Medicine.
In 2021, 4,579 patients were diagnosed and/or treated for malignancies or benign central nervous system neoplasms at the University of Chicago Medicine. Of these, the majority (3,801, 83%) were newly diagnosed, and the remaining (778, 17%) are documented in the registry for recurrent or progressive disease. The most frequently seen cancers, representing 18% (845), were of the digestive system.
*Endocrine includes benign pituitary adenomas.
†Brain & CNS includes benign central nervous system neoplasms.
‡Miscellaneous includes blood dyscrasias, myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative syndromes and cancers with other histology/primary site designations.
Distribution by race shows that our patient population is predominately White (2,720 patients, 59%), followed by Black (1,399 patients, 31%) and Hispanic (228 patients, 5%). These trends are similar to those seen in recent years.
The majority of patients (3,706, 81%) seen in 2021 were Illinois residents. Nineteen percent (864 patients) of the total number of patients first seen in 2021 lived in other states, primarily in the neighboring states of Indiana (687, 80%), Michigan (53, 6%) and Wisconsin (31, 4%). We also served nine international patients from India (2 patients), UAE (2 patients), England (1 patient), Ecuador (1 patient), Costa Rica (1 patient), Mexico (1 patient) and South Korea (1 patient).